What are we looking for
We are seeking a Maintenance Manager for our Ferrybridge facility in Knottingley, West Yorkshire.
Reporting to the General/Plant Manager this role is responsible for:
- Managing the maintenance infrastructure to ensure safe and efficient operation of the plant and site.
- Maintaining current intelligence of technical developments that would assist in increasing the efficiency of the plant.
- Ensuring maintenance activities meet and integrate with organisational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal stipulations, environmental licenses and general duty of care.
- Effectively balances the conflicting demands of plant operation by setting and driving the departments work priorities.
- Ensuring clear budgetary costings are developed for each maintenance/engineering activity and are delivered within budget/forecast.
What you will be doing
- Manages all maintenance aspects of the plant including recruitment, induction, appraisal and training of maintenance staff in accordance with Company procedures.
- Ensuring that the plant is properly maintained such that it remains capable of delivering its full output with minimal trips and high availability.
- Continually monitor and, where possible, improve plant and processes to increase plant productivity.
- Provide leadership and management of new design of plant, equipment and buildings, project-manage implementation and secure on-going maintenance at optimum cost.
- Through technical innovation improve the frequency of compliance with all the Authorisation standards (e.g. the Environment Agency Environmental Permit).
- Responsible for developing, maintaining and implementing maintenance and emergency procedures.
- Available to be called in during emergency situations, outages and manage plant breakdowns when necessary.
- Review and monitor the Planned Preventative Maintenance Scheme and develop and implement improvements and cost savings.
- Working with the procurement team to optimise spare parts holdings and ensure that they are safely and securely stored.
- Management of key plant maintenance contracts particularly associated with the boilers, FGT plant and turbines.
- Develop capital expenditure proposals that, where possible, improve throughput, electricity generation, optimise recycling or optimise costs and, demonstrate pay back within company defined limits.
- Assist in the creation of longer-term business plans for the site describing the engineering improvements which achieve medium to long-term strategic goals.
- Propose engineering changes that result in defined cost reductions and/or improved financial performance.
- Generate specifications for changes and sub-contract work and, with the Purchasing and Finance departments produce tender documents, produce budgets and estimates and, implement improvements.
- Ensure that all maintenance/engineering – related goods and services are competitively tendered and delivered in the most cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that Procurement policies & procedures are applied to all dealings with external contractors.
- Manage and control departmental expenditure within agreed budgets including reviewing of the accounts on a regular basis and implementing actions to generate cost savings as necessary.
- In conjunction with the Management Accountant and Purchasing department ensure accurate project financial forecasting, management, control and deliver projects within agreed expenditure.
- Promote general safety within the Maintenance Department and within the Contractors employed by them. This includes the production of method statements and risk assessments.
- Establish control and monitoring schemes of technical plant performance, analyse and use this data to develop and propose engineering improvements that enhance plant performance.
- Ensure that all improvement projects enable the current and any future plant to operate in accordance with all necessary licenses and permits from the appropriate statutory authorities, including the Environment Agency Environmental Permit.
- Ensure that all improvement projects meet with and integrate with organisational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal stipulations, environmental licenses, and general duty of care.
- Take responsibility for technical safety of improvements implemented in the plant and other designated project areas and ensure that operations and maintenance personnel are properly trained to operate such technical changes effectively and safely.
- Develop key performance indicators including monitoring outages against plan and budgets that demonstrate engineering improvements are delivering the returns proposed in the accepted improvement plan.
- Responsible for maintaining plant cleanliness.
- Thoroughly and promptly investigates any accidents or near misses in conjunction with the SHE department to ensure that any unsafe practices or conditions are addressed and eliminated immediately.
- Provide direction, guidance, motivation and leadership to all personnel under their control, ensuring that underperformance is addressed, and excellent performance recognized.
- Conducts performance appraisals, recruits, develops and manages staff. When necessary takes appropriate disciplinary action in accordance with Company policy.
- Oversee staff development through structured training programs which provide measurable improvements in productivity, resource utilization and succession planning.
- Promote a consensus approach to problem solving within the site, leading to cultural change and reinforcement of team involvement and achievement.
- Co-ordinate activities of departmental and allocated staff and contractors and be responsible for the quality and quantity of their work.
- Direct the work of consultants and contractors and liaise with outside organisations to ensure engineering improvements are achieved in an efficient and safe manner.
- Liaison with the Operations Manager, Technical & Engineering team, internal Customers and external suppliers (i.e. contractors) to ensure that the planning and project resources are being used effectively to achieve approved improvement plans in those areas for which this role retains responsibility.
- Work proactively with other support departments to deliver the Company strategy and plans.
What you will bring
- Degree or Higher National Diploma/ Certificate in a relevant Engineering discipline (mechanical or electrical).
- Ability to manage a team and motivate them to deliver service above the minimum.
- Extensive experience in the maintenance of Power or Process Plants managing with a multi-discipline workforce.
- Experience of designing, costing and managing implementation of large process engineering improvements.
- In depth technical experience to oversee effective maintenance and commissioning plans implemented.
- Thinks outside the normal parameters, considers different solutions and constructively challenges traditional thinking.
- Demonstrates openness to new ideas and champions their implementation.
- Demonstrable experience of drafting accurate budgets and delivering actual costs in line with them and analysing, reporting and addressing variances.
- Successful experience of negotiating with suppliers of services for on time and to cost delivery.
- Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety legislation, guidance and systems, and other relevant Regulations, specific to the application and technology being managed.
- A commitment to undertake training as deemed necessary to improve and update knowledge and skills.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
For more information please contact: email@example.com.