The jobholder is responsible for ensuring reliable day-to-day operation of the plant and effective supervision and management of the shift operations team to ensure compliance with health & safety, environmental and operational procedures of the plant under all situations and in all conditions.
The jobholder is also responsible for ensuring that all Company targets and objectives associated with a safe working environment, training, environmental and safety compliance, facility performance and equipment operating requirements is maintained.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for directing and supervising a team, and other personnel as directed, to ensure the facility is operated and maintained in a safe and efficient manner with high housekeeping standards during duty hours.
- Ensures that the plant is operated within design limits at all times.
- Directs and co-ordinates resources to meet plant and business requirements.
- Maintains and enforces company policies and procedures, environmental compliance, and safety and health requirements.
- Works with Management, Engineers and others to identify plant performance shortfalls and areas for continual improvement.
- Trains shift personnel in safety procedures and equipment use, plant operating procedures and environmental standards and compliance. Implements corporate and plant training programs and ensures continued progress in the programs by shift personnel.
- Responsible for the application, enforcement and administration of the Company Safety Rules as an AP1 (Senior Authorised Person)
- Responsible for motivation and team development, conducting regular performance appraisals and talent identification, creating development plans and overseeing development through structured training program, which provides measurable improvements, succession planning and resource utilisation.
- Accountable for the completion of any investigation, grievance or disciplinry process, ensuring these are managed against the company policy and procedure and conducted in a fair and measured way.
- Responsible for the timely completion of accident and equipment damage reports, approval of timesheets, and documentation of attendance, timekeeping etc.
- Accountable for recruitment and selection of Operational team members ensuring that all vacancies in the team are recruited for within budgeted headcount and in a timely manner, assessing candidates through the recruitment process and offer.
- Creates work requests and reports defects through the Computerised Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Maintains an accurate log of facility operations, activities, and events.
- Makes frequent rounds of the facility to ensure proper operation of equipment, materials storage and handling, facility security, cleanliness, safety, and environmental compliance.
- Serves as the Plant Manager’s representative during periods when Management and Operations Engineer are off-site.
- Writes reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals as required or directed by facility operations
- Decisively and effectively directs personnel during all situations
- Completes the Corporate and Plant Training Programs within the timeframe prescribed.
- Undertakes regular communication of key business issues and more local team-specific information through briefings, team meetings or one-to-one communication.
- Fosters and promotes a culture of teamwork between operational staff and all other plant staff.
- Ensures that the facility and all personnel operate safely at all times and promotes an environment whereby safety is a priority. Follows and ensures staff follow standard safety procedures, corrects safety and environmental hazards.
- Anticipates typical problems, identifies potential or recurring problems, and takes appropriate action. Troubleshoot equipment and assists in diagnosing problem areas.
- Operates other equipment including, but not limited to, industrial forklifts, man-lifts, skid steer type loaders, and other mobile equipment.
- Thoroughly and promptly investigates any accidents or near misses in conjunction with management team to ensure that any unsafe practices or conditions are addressed and eliminated immediately.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The jobholder will be expected to manage a team of Shift Plant Operators, Assistant Plant Operators (site specific) and contractors and will have management responsibility of all people related activity through the employee life cycle including, recruitment, selections, wellbeing and managing performance.
Will have full responsibility of the site out of normal office hours.
Qualifications & Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job:
- HND/HNC in Engineering or related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years’ operational and maintenance experience in the power generation, EfW or other similar environment.
- Professional memberships and certifications from groups such as the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMECHe), Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), Chartered Institute of Waste Management (CIWM), or similar professional bodies are desirable.
- Communicates clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative where required.
- Able to delegate tasks and ensure follow-through.
- Analytical ability, enthusiastic and competent problem solver with a practical approach to solving engineering problems.
- A proven team leader with good communication and organisational skills – able to manage, coach and motivate the operations teams.
- Able to cope with numerous issues simultaneously and capable of prioritising tasks accordingly.
- Leads others and fosters an environment of teamwork and co-operation.
- Ability to implement and influence change.
- Manages a diverse workforce effectively.
- Trains and shares expertise with others.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Manages stressful situations professionally.
- Contributes to a positive team spirit and enhances plant morale.
- Accepts both positive and negative constructive feedback from others and makes adjustments to performance based on such feedback.
- IT literate.
- Demonstrates respect and sensitivity for cultural/work style and learning style differences.
- Treats people with respect.
- Works ethically and with integrity at all times and requires the same from staff.
The normal setting for this job is both internal and external to the central control room with some extended periods out on plant as required. Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job.
- Required to work a rotating shift pattern that will include weekends and public holidays.
- Provide shift rota cover as required to ensure continuous operation of the plant.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 20kg.
- Will be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) and must be capable of assessing these risks and applying suitable preventative measures to prevent injury.
- Exposure to a physical environment which involves dirt, odours, noise, weather extremes or similar elements.
For more information please contact: email@example.com.